Diet Alternatives: Herbal Dietary Supplements
Herbs refer to all plants that can be used for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. These include: trees, shrubs, mushrooms, lichens and fruits and vegetables. Apple juice and shiitake mushrooms which serve as food are also good herbal alternatives.
Herbal alternatives can either be internal or external formulations. The herbal alternatives you need to use to treat ailments generally depend on the type of ailment you got. Most people use combination of herbs to get the maximum benefits for the body. There are a number of herbal preparations which you can effectively use as herbal alternatives to prescription drugs. These herbal alternatives are derived from herbal practices handed down from generation to generation, even centuries old.
Scientists and researchers have made several studies to prove or disprove the effectiveness of these herbal alternatives. Some studies do confirm the herbal alternatives effectiveness, others require further researches.
Herbal dietary supplements
Herbal dietary supplements refer to herbals that are intended as enhancement to the diet. More often than not, dietary herbal supplements contain more than one dietary ingredient such as vitamins minerals, amino acids and other substances. These herbal dietary supplements are not intended to cure or treat various ailments but as preventive measures and additional method to acquire essential nutrients for the body. Although, these supplements do undeniably contain healing properties for several body conditions.
Herbal dietary supplements include:
* black cohosh is a supplement for women to treat symptoms of menopause
* calcium is good for the bones
* chromium is good for glucose and insulin
* Coenzyme Q10 is a preventive measure also treatment against cancer.
* Copper is a dietary herbal supplement that aids in the absorption of zinc in the body and maximizes its beneficial effect. It helps the body function normally, prevent heart disease, promotes healthy skin and hair color and other benefits.
* Ephedra is a diet supplement that helps prevent colds, treat asthma and other upper respiratory ailments.
* Folate is herbal diet supplements that contributes to the production of red blood cells, manufacture of DNA for cell replication and aids in metabolism of amino aids.
* Garlic is a herbal supplement that can help prevent certain types of cancer such as stomach and colon cancer.
* Iron is a diet herbal supplement that supplies energy to every cell in the body and a vital component of hemoglobin which supplies oxygen to muscles.
* Magnesium aids in preventing kidney, thyroid or heart disease.
* Omega-3 fatty acids is an essential polyunsaturated fats that is important in preventing degenerative diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
* S-adenosyl-L-Methionine (SAMe) is a herbal supplement that is good for depression, osteoarthritis and liver disease.
* Selenium contains antioxidant that could counter various ailments including cancer.
* St. Jonhs wort is an effective herbal diet supplement for depression
* Tea is a herbal dietary supplement that contains antioxidants effective in preventing cancer, heart disease and reduce blood pressure among numerous other benefits.
* Valerian is a herbal supplement effective for insomnia
* Vitamin A and carotenoids are herbal supplements that promote good eyesight.
* Vitamin B6 and B12 belong to Vitamin B complexes which treat a host of ailments such as alcoholism, depression, diabetes, hair problems, lupus, multiple sclerosis and stress.
* Vitamin D is essential in preventing osteoporosis.
* Vitamin E is herbal dietary supplements that are potent antioxidants.
* Vitamin K compound helps blood clot or coagulation.
* Zinc is an essential trace element that is relied on by every cell in the body and hundreds of body processes
All of these herbal elements offer great beneficial value to supplement your diet and assist with weight loss and good general health.